Bernina, a household name in Switzerland and recognized the world over, has been manufacturing premium embroidery and sewing machines for decades. Established more than 125 years ago, Bernina has attained a high degree of specialization in producing overlocker, sewing, and embroidery machines. Bernina also produces a wide range of accessories for its sewing machines which the company makes available via its global network of authorized standalone dealers.
Odette Ueltschi, the proprietor launched the Bernette (a portmanteau of Bernina and Odette) product line in 1989. Ueltschi introduced Bernette with a view to enable the brand to become an independent and autonomous trademark of the Bernina Textile Group. Based in Steckborn, Switzerland Bernina designs and engineers home textiles, crafting, quilting, and embroidery machines chiefly for domestic use.
Table of Contents
- Product Reviews
- View Price
- View Price
- View Price
- View Price
- View Price
- Bernette Sewing Machine Buying Guide
Bernette, a globally recognized sewing machine manufacturer promotes the Bernette 38 as a topnotch high-quality and budget-friendly sewing machine. The Bernette 38 comes across as a state-of-the-art sewing machine packed to the hilt with a host of versatile features. The USP of this computerized sewing machine has to be its 394 stitching styles built into the unit.
You simply have to select the stitching mode you prefer for a specific embroidery or needlework project and the machine will pass on the same onto the material. You can also make good use of the eight buttonhole capabilities, 3 distinct fonts, and the speed regulator technology. You can effortlessly set the speed and with precision via the speed regulator mechanism that comes equipped with on-screen control.
A double-needle button allows you to pair the unit’s needle with the presser foot to prevent the needle from accidently hitting the latter and snapping. This double-needle safety feature diminishes the stitch’s breadth to keep the needle from striking the presser foot. The automatic thread cutter and tie-off functionality ties off the seam the moment you reach the stitching line’s end and scissors the threads once you complete the project.
- Drop-in hook mechanism
- Stitch width: 7mm
- 394 stitching patterns
- 1-step 8 buttonholes function
- 170mm long
- Solid metal construction
- Comes with detachable extension table for large projects
- Computerized selection of a variety of stitch patterns
- Has rubberized feet on the machine’s underneath for stability
- Users may feel the absence of a holder for scissors
- It can get noisy
Unlike most Bernette models that are computerized, the Bernette 35 Swiss Design Sewing Machine is a mechanical unit. As a mechanical sewing machine, the Bernette 35 finds favor with beginners and greenhorn dressmakers, enabling them to learn the ropes of stitching and embroidery effectively. At the same time, the cost or price of the Bernette 35 also makes the sewing machine supremely affordable.
Despite the Bernette 35’s pocket-friendly price, the machine does not compromise on the quality and/or performance front. This Bernette sewing machine comes with more than 50 built-in stitches, comprising17 stretch and utility stitches, 7 quilting, 5 buttonholes, 19 decorative and 2 darning stitches. With so many integrated stitch patterns on offer, you can tackle any needlework project easily and speedily.
Apart from the standard features, the Bernette Swiss Design sewing machine comes loaded with numerous add-on functionalities such as a manual thread cutter and needle threader. The Bernette 35 also comes with an accessory compartment where you safely store your thread rolls, spools, bobbins, cleaning brushes, and much more.
- Hook system: Front loading
- Five buttonholes (1-step)
- Stitching width: 5mm
- Wheel for adjusting tension
- 2-step pressure foot lift for stitching thicker fabric layers
- Stable presser foot shank and seven presser feet soles
- Being a mechanical sewing machine, it does not have advanced features
- No LED lights
Belonging to the Bernette Sublime Series, the Chicago 7 Sewing & Embroidery Machine as its name indicates can effectively stitch and embroider. Reinforced with state-of-the-art technology and featuring versatile functions, the Chicago 7 sewing & embroidery machine continues to serve embroiderers and quilters. On the other hand this Bernette sewing machine tends to be remarkably user-friendly and its elegant design arrests your attention.
The versatility of Chicago 7 implies that you can take optimal advantage of this machine for working on a variety of fabrics and materials. However you’ll have to replace the stock needle with an upgraded needle for stitching or embroidering on particular fabrics such as leather or denim. When you place an order for the Bernina Bernette Chicago 7 Sewing & Embroidery Machine, you get scissors for free.
This sewing machine also comes with a storage port for safekeeping your scissors when you’re not using them. At the same time you’ll find a USB port that’ll enable you to connect this sewing and embroidery machine with your computer for transferring and sharing stitch patterns. You’ll have full leeway in editing existing embroidery patterns, fashioning new ones, and downloading trending designs with effortless ease.
- Computerized machine
- Loaded with useful features like drop feed dogs, free-motion sewing, speed control, and safe stitching
- USB port for connectivity with digital devices
- 10-year extended warranty on mechanical components
- Comes with 200 integrated stitches, two automatic buttonholes, 20 quilting stitches, and one monogramming font
- Auto-needle up/down button for completing sewing and embroidery projects with ease
- An intuitive start/stop button offers you the scope of taking advantage of the unit without operating foot control
- Lightweight enough for carrying to embroidery classes and sufficiently durable for everyday use
- Not easily available
- No user manual
- Tension at times is somewhat shifty or finicky leading to the machine missing a stitch oftentimes
Seamstresses, dressmakers, quilters, and embroiderers will simply enjoy using the 05 Academy Sewing Machine stacked with a suite of features. For a start, the Bernette 05 Academy Sewing Machine comes reinforced with a fast and powerful motor and 33 unique stitches, letting you execute your craziest brainstorms. The easily attachable finger-guard together with the 12 built-in presser feet soles renders accomplishing each and every seam a breeze.
You can slow down the sewing pace particularly when you’re working on tricky and complicated projects that call for extreme caution. The 05 Academy Sewing Machine comes with an extension table that offers a broad workspace for all your sewing and needlework projects.
- Includes a large and sturdy extension table
- 2 LED lights for sewing in dimly lit environments
- 33 exclusive but essential stitches
- 1100 stitches per minute (the highest sewing speed)
- Apart from featuring 33 crucial stitches, this sewing machine includes blanket and Lycra stitches, two highly popular stitches
- Adjustable presser foot helps implement stitches on light and thickset fabrics
- Slide-on table offers good convenience in guiding and sewing fabrics
- The booklet included in the package has only pictures instead of instructions
- Many users have complained that the handwheel doesn’t turn
Equipped with a host of accessories and multiple functional features, the Bernette B44 Overlock Machine offers good value for money. Even beginners and greenhorns will find the Bernette B44 sewing machine user-friendly as the 15 distinct stitches guarantee utmost flexibility with 2, 3 or 4 yarns when choosing stitches. Besides the 2, 3 or 4 hems, you can impart your embroidery projects exceptional rolled borders or rims having a depth of up to 1.5mm.
- Maximum of 1300 stitches per minute
- Stitch/feed adjustable 0.6-2.0
- Width of stitches ranges from 3-7mm
- Single-step sewing and cutting of heavier thicker fabrics with precision
- High-speed sewing
- Broad working area
- Color coding for easier threading
- 15 exclusive stitches with 2, 3 or 4 threads
- Extension table not included
- No knee lifter
Bernette Sewing Machine Buying Guide
There are sewing and quilting/embroidery machines and there are the Bernina sewing and embroidery machines. Bernina has been crafting sewing, embroidery, home textiles, and quilting machines for years with the same passion you devote to your needlework projects. Bernina sewing machines enjoy almost the same level of popularity worldwide as Swiss watches and confectionaries.
Embodying the classic Swiss penchant and obsession for perfection, Bernina machines featuring the most cutting-edge technology, are manufactured in strict conformity with the highest quality control standards. The company pays close attention to even the seemingly unremarkable details for manufacturing a range of sewing, quilting, and embroidery machines.
No wonder Bernina machines exemplify durability, tradition, quality, sustainability, innovation, and of course the Swiss fetish for perfection. Bernina right from the beginning has operated as a close-knit family business, and therefore fully realizes and empathizes with the customers’ needs. If you’re looking for a good reason to opt for Bernette sewing or an embroidery machine, you’ll find many:-
- Premium materials used for making machines inside out since 1893
- Freearm embroidery-Special hoop for embroidering on small and cylindrical items likes handcuffs, socks, and tees
- Extensive workspace/sewing area-Most Bernina machines come with detachable slide-on table for specific projects
- The proprietary Bernina Dual Feed-The Bernina Dual Feed comes in very handy for stitching delicate fabrics
- Bernina Hook-Bernina 7 Series machines allows to you impart stitches with a width of up to 9mm smoothly and accurately
- Utter stitch control-alteration of needle position, length, and width of stitches temporarily or permanently even while you’re sewing
- BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) –The Bernina Stitch Regulator or the avant-garde presser foot helps turn out stitches of uniform length during freemotion needlework
- Creative Consultant-Almost all computerized sewing and embroidery machines feature the ‘Creative Consultant’ that display presser foot pressure, feed dog position, needle, and the right presser foot. At the same time Creative Consultant helps in automatically setting the preferred stitch pattern and the thread tension.
- Smart screens- The majority of Bernina models have a built-in LCD display that clearly shows all your settings instantly
- Personal memory settings-Every time you select a stitch pattern and set it, the machine remembers the setting allowing you to access it readily for future applications
- On-screen buttonhole measuring mechanism-To measure a button’s diameter, you just have to press-hold the button onto the screen. The machine automatically records and sets the buttonhole’s length enabling you to stitch the buttonhole innumerable times
- Signature FHS (Free-Hand System) –The knee lever hoists the presser foot and lowers the feed-dog at the same time thereby allowing you to maneuver the fabric with your hands
- Bernina presser feet-Bernina offers more than 70 different types of presser feet helping you to sew, quilt or embroider with extraordinary perfection
- DesignWorks Software-The Bernina DesignWorks, comprising three elements helps in creating customized designs, paint bright patterns, and stencil outlines and shapes
Every Bernina sewing machine reviewed above serves a particular category or community of quilters, dressmakers, and embroiderers. For instance, the Bernina Chicago 7, B44 Overlock, and Bernette 35 are user-friendly machines stacked with practical features and hence ideal for beginners. On the other hand, Bernette 38 and Bernette 05 tend to be amongst the most advanced of sewing machines out there.