Nine out of ten individuals mistake a handheld sewing machine for a stapler because the former looks nearly like the latter. On the other hand handheld sewing machines have almost the same size as that of a stapler. No wonder many seamstresses, tailors, and dressmakers term handheld sewing units as stapler sewing machines.
A handheld sewing machine comes in perfectly handy when you cannot carry a traditional unit for fixing small stitching issues. Handheld sewing machines are not only immensely portable but also do not need any power source for operation making them supremely versatile. On the other hand the extremely compact size of a handheld sewing machine implies that you can carry and store it with ease.
You can keep a quality handheld sewing machine in your home, office or car for attending to emergencies such as mending a shirt or trouser tear. Of course you can use these small and cute sewing units for fixing several other sewing issues.
An enormously handy and versatile miniature sewing unit, the CENGOY mini handheld sewing machine can be operated using both battery and electricity. You can press this handheld sewing machine into service for stitching any type of fabric or material with a thickness less than 1.8mm. You can run this CENGOY handheld sewing unit with a single DC 6V power adaptor or 4 AA batteries.
Shaped out of sustainable alternative plastic materials, this mini sewing machine is incredibly hardy as well as environmental-friendly. You can employ the CENGOY sewing unit to mend tears and rips on your shirts and trousers without having to take off your garments. Beginners will find this tiny sewing machine remarkably user-friendly as it can effortlessly run and move parallel to the hem automatically.
You can use only one thread at a time for sewing or stitching as the machine features a single stitch pattern. The CENGOY Mini Handheld Sewing Machine weighs about 0.63lbs and has a compact body enabling you to hold it firmly without sacrificing comfortableness while sewing. The unit’s portability means you can take it with you when you’re travelling and carry out on-the-spot and emergency patch-ups.
- Comfortably operable via 4 AA batteries or DC 6V power adapter
- Lightweight design
- Perfect for emergency and on the spot repairs and alterations
- Includes bobbins, threads and needles, needle threader, practice fabric, scissor, measuring tape, and user manual
- Suitable for using on clothing or fabric with a thickness below 1.8mm
- Rotating wheel adjustment for controlling stitching
- Tension control mechanism for adjusting stitch’s tautness
- Cannot stitch fabrics that are thicker than 1.8mm
- Threading the needle can be a challenge
- You’ll need to buy power adapter or batteries separately
The Michley LSS-202 Lil Sew Sewing Machine comes reinforced with a host of handy features rendering patch-up jobs a breeze while you’re travelling. Some of the noteworthy features of this mini handheld sewing machine include top loading drop-in bobbin, dual-thread lockstitch , auto bobbin winder, and two speeds. You can either use 4 AA batteries or a power adaptor for making the most of this min 2-speed sewing machine from Michley.
Designed and engineered with precision, the LSS-202 Lil’ sewing machine works as efficiently as a standard unit without the messiness. At the same time, the compactness and portability of this handheld sewing machine allows you to store and carry it comfortably. On the other hand the machine is very lightweight which enables you to keep the unit on your knees during sewing.
The user-friendliness of the LSS-202 Lil dual-speed sewing machine implies that both adults and children can use this unit easily. This compact and portable sewing unit from Michley comes with 2-speed motor and 2 built-in stitches for accomplishing all basic needlecraft projects with effortless ease.
- Can stitch a wide range of fabrics and materials from denim to silk
- Hand switch for getting started
- Package includes accessories like bobbins, needles, needle threader, and a foot pedal
- Automatic thread rewinding
- Incredibly lightweight and portable
- Compact design with a very small footprint
- Top loading drop-in bobbin for effortless threading
- 2-speed sewing for dual threading and seamless stitch control
- A single sheet of paper which passes off as a manual contains instructions that are barely comprehensible owing to the poor standard of English
- No reverse stitch function
The portable and compact SINGER 01663 Sew Quick™ mending machine lets you fix garments’ rips and slits easily and quickly. You can use this battery-powered mini portable mending machine for patching up small tears and cuts in a range of home-décor fabrics including curtains and duvets. Being cordless this handheld stitching machine allows you to achieve multiple projects with amazing speed and convenience.
On the other hand the integrated power stitch ensures that you can use this mending machine in a safe manner. You can also operate the Singer 01663 Stitch Sew Quick by tucking in 4 AA batteries. This handy and portable repairing machine works with equal efficiency on a variety of fabrics including denim, leather, silk, cotton, and wool.
The included user manual contains simple and straightforward instructions enabling you to take full advantage of the unit’s features and functions. The machine comes equipped with accessories such as thread spindle, needle threader, needles, and bobbins. The built-in powerful motor makes sure that you’re able to carry out patching up and mending jobs expediently and rapidly.
- Most compatible for using with lighter and smoother fabrics
- Package includes thread spool, needles, bobbins, and thread rolls
- Single-thread feeding mechanism for emergency basting or on-the-spot repairs and fixes
- Battery powered
- Very lightweight and compact
- Operable using electric power as well as batteries
- Cordless operation
- Compact design: Easily goes inside sewing kits and travelling bags
- Comes pre-threaded: Can be used right out of the box
- Quality of stitches may not be up to the mark
- Stitches and seams may not hold as firmly as those achieved with a regular sewing machine
If you’re looking for a handy and portable mini sewing machine that’ll enable to handle emergency patch-ups then look no further. For a start, this Loyalland portable sewing machine is extremely lightweight and compact enabling you to fit it in your palm. On the other hand the versatility of this mini handheld cordless sewing machine means you can use it for stitching practically any fabric with a thickness under 1.8mm.
An intuitive mounting plate facilitates trouble-free adjustment while disassembling 4 thread set points is rendered easy with a push of a button. You do not have to undress as the fabrics glide smoothly underneath the handheld unit’s pressure foot for instant sewing. You can run this portable mini sewing unit with a 6V power adapter as well as with 4 AA sized batteries.
- Can be used on a variety of fabrics and materials with thickness less than 1.8mm
- Compact and lightweight design
- Easy-to-use design
- Comes with numerous accessories including scissors, needles, safety pins, needle threader and user manual
- Premium plastics body and metal components guarantee extended functional life
- Compatible for using with thinner and lighter fabrics
- Suitable for instant repairs and emergency patch-ups
- Not suitable for stitching on fabrics thicker than 1.8mm
Go for the Levelasa Handheld Sewing Machine if you wish to add creativity to your interior decoration or home-based embroidery projects. You’ll simply have fun working with this mini cordless portable sewing machine electric sewing machine and the unit helps save time as well. With this handheld sewing machine from Levelasa, you’ll be able to alter a tee, shorten trousers, repair torn pockets, and mend hems in no time.
The rotary wheel adjustment enables you to control stitching with precision while the tension control lets you adjust stitches’ tightness. At the same time, this sewing unit lightweight and compact design lets you take it along while you’re travelling. Shaped out of robust and resilient ABS plastics, the Levelasa handheld cordless electric sewing machine stays functional for years.
- Compact mini sewing unit that fits easily in your palm
- Constructed from durable ABS materials
- Package includes 1 mini sewing unit, threader, user manual, spindle, 2 additional bobbins with yarn, and needles
- Easy to operate and handle
- Both professionals and beginners can take of this machine for DIY crafting
- Works with a range of fabrics including leather, wool, denim, and silk
- The fine print of the instructions is very small making it difficult to read
- Not quite user-friendly
- The stitching does not hold
Best Handheld Sewing Machine: Buying Guide
There’s an age-old and time-tested maxim that applies readily to handheld sewing machines- a stitch in time saves nine. Of course a handheld sewing unit is not as functional as a regular sewing machine but the former offers some unique benefits. For instance a handheld sewing machine allows you to perform on-the-spot and emergency mending tasks when you’re on the move.
Supposing your pants get stuck in the mudguard while you’re opening your car’s bonnet and gets torn when you try to untangle the trousers. Or your full-sleeve shirt gets slit on the arm as you accidently graze against the doorframe while entering the office. During such occasions only a handheld sewing machine can come to your aid and save your face.
Apart from helping you to handle crisis situations, a handheld sewing machine can help you attend to several stitching issues that seem innocuous but nevertheless crucial. There are a number of sewing jobs that requires you to use a handheld sewing/mending unit as a traditional sewing machine cannot deal with such tasks. Additionally the compactness and portability of a handheld sewing machine enables you to take it with you anywhere you want to.
At the same time a handheld unit’s small size (and therefore minimal weight) ensures that you can perform patch-up tasks with ease. On the other hand the compactness of such a sewing unit means you can easily hold it in your palm. Simply put you have thorough control over a portable and compact mini handheld sewing machine for accomplishing small stitching errands.
So when it comes to choosing a quality handheld sewing machine, make sure you select a unit that caters to your needs and preferences.
What to Consider Before You Choose a Quality Handheld Sewing Machine?
A top quality and durable handheld sewing machine can help you tackle out-of-the-ordinary sewing jobs. So you should conduct some research about the features of such a sewing machine before taking a decision to buy one. Pay close attention to the following factors while you’re shopping for the right handheld sewing machine:-
The needle is by far the most important factor that you should accord top priority to when comparing different machines. It is the built-in needle of a handheld sewing machine that has a direct impact on the stitching quality. Hence ensure that the integrated needle is of good quality and shaped out of premium materials.
The miniature sewing machines of yesteryears came equipped with a bobbin positioned on the unit’s lower part. However the modern-day handheld sewing units come with bobbins affixed atop the machine enabling you to see the component constantly.
\You should always opt for a handheld sewing unit that features an automatic needle threader. A needle threader saves you from the trouble of having to insert the thread manually into the eye of the needle which could cause eyestrain.
The topnotch handheld sewing brands usually include a range of accessories that enable you to get started right away. Some of these accessories include needle set, bobbins, thread rolls, scissors, safety pins, and much more.
More often than not additional features such as reverse stitch function and built-in stitch patterns add to the versatility of the unit.
After reading through to the end of this article, you’ll have a fair idea of the significance of handheld sewing machines. Though you cannot embroider a new quilt or a stitch a new garment using a handheld sewing unit you’ll find this mini stitching machine indispensable in many ways. You’ll invariably require a handheld sewing unit for altering clothes, darning a rip, tautening a loosely stitch button, and so on.
All five handheld sewing machine models reviewed above make a good buy but a few models stand out from the rest. The Michley LSS-202, CENGOY, and the Singer 01663 models are powerful machines that work smoothly across various fabrics and materials, helping you save both time and money.